Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Parting blues

21st of June is my last day here at K-State. My home sweet home is no longer going to remain mine. I would no longer be coming to this lab, which I have always felt so attached to. I'm no longer going to be a student of this department, my second home here in Manhattan. Friends who were a phone call away are no longer going to be around.

It freaks me no end to think that these things are soon going to end. It is unbelievably painstaking to leave this weird yet beautiful place where routine seems messed up if you sleep before 3 in the night and get up before 10 in the morning. A place where something just doesn't feel right if you don't eat at Chipotle every other night. A place where feet, by default, turn towards union/radina's at 5 pm daily for coffee hour. A place where weekend doesn't seem complete without a movie on projector followed by dance party. In such state of bliss we've lived our lives here, its hard to imagine the day when I would step out of the lab one last time, out of the department one last time, out of the university one last time, out of the house one last time to board my last roadrunner. For a change it would feel like the cab should not just come to pick me up.

It all feels similar to what went through my mind on the last day of engineering, five years back. But then, I was going to live in the same town, in the same house and moreover with the same group of friends. The transition then was not as steep and abrupt. Moreover, then, I did not know the real worth of college life. I always knew college life is the one of the best phase's of one's life. But its only after you start working that you well and truly realize the seriousness and veracity of those thoughts. The same goes with Bachelor's life. Its not until you get married that you understand and appreciate the simplicities in life whilst being a bachelor, and the complications involved when you are no more single. In the last two years I've got a chance to experience both these phases, student and bachelor, once again after having experienced corporate and married life and having got to know their pros and cons. Though being a bachelor again has been hard, it sometimes feel glad to be amongst the lucky ones. Life is more often than not a one way traffic, very few people get a chance to go back in life . And in a sense experiencing bachelors and student's life once again has felt like the clock has ticked back on me.

Now these two phases are about to end ......... in fact a completely new chapter is about to begin. Its kind of been a hard climb and as I stand at this final step looking back at the road traveled, there is again a medley of emotions: satisfaction for achievements made, regret for the mistakes committed, anger for opportunities missed, happiness for the moments lived. Of course a lot of sadness around this whole thing of leaving. Met some really good people here. They say some people come in your life for a season, some for a reason and some for a lifetime. Not sure who came for what, but I sure got some real good friends and to all those folks .... I'll really miss you guys. Its been an absolute pleasure to have experienced life here, with you guys, in this cute little town they call the Little Apple.

In spite of all this nostalgia though, I must say I'm quite ready to move on. What I've learnt from the past is that its quite natural to feel nostalgic about things. But do not hold on to your past. Never think that your best days have gone past. In fact always look forward and keep thinking that the best days in your life are yet to come. So I'm completely positive that the best is still to come and looking forward to move on to a new phase in life. Will meet new people, hopefully make great friends and the new place would have something exciting on offer. Infact, Seattle was the vision, the dream I've had for a long long time. I'm soon going to be living this dream and that makes me happy no bound. Looking forward to getting sleepless in Seattle!

5 comments:

starry-eyed said...

great post mandar! definitely miss our common musical interest...but keep singing and join some nice music club...Best wishes to you and madhura!!!

Radnam said...

Thanks Jimba :) ..... but really who are you Jimba? :P

Unknown said...

Nice blog!

Will miss the days ven we used to watch the movies on projector :)

Kabeer said...

Makes me nostalgic too .. though I have to spend a couple more years here :(

starry-eyed said...

me ek aawaz hu jise tum bhool nahi sakte! Jimba is my pen name :)